A burning fireplace can add warmth and a sense of comfort to any home. With that being said, the lingering odor of ashes and soot can just as easily detract from a home’s inviting qualities. These foul smoky smells can be made even more prominent when a dirty flue combines with moisture during humid seasons and rainy days. Fortunately, there are several things that homeowners can do to combat these scents and extinguish them altogether.
- Sweep your chimney: One of the most effective ways to prevent fireplace odors is to keep your chimney clean. Sweep up dirt and ashes after every fire and have your chimney swept every spring or summer to clear away built-up creosote – the main culprit behind fireplace odors.
- Fireplace deodorant: If fireplace odors still remain after soot and ash have been cleared away, it may be time to use a fireplace deodorant. Place the bottle on the smoke shelf and gradually pull up the wick to combat odors for several months.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a natural and safe deodorizer that can eliminate the strong smell of soot in your fireplace. Placing a few shallow bowls of vinegar around the room, spraying the fireplace with a solution of equal parts vinegar and water, or spraying a towel with vinegar and waving it around the room can all work to absorb fireplace odors.
- Charcoal: Charcoal is another effective deodorizer which can treat your pungent fireplace. Placing a bucket of briquettes and damp newspaper near the fireplace will allow the charcoal to absorb any lingering soot or ash odors.
- Air purifiers: Electric air purifiers are designed to filter the air in your home and remove any foul odors and irritants – including those produced by fireplaces. Be sure to use a model that does not produce ozone as a byproduct, as this can potentially be harmful to individuals with respiratory issues.
Let Elite Cleaning Services, LLC Help
At Elite Cleaning Services, LLC, our Manassas home cleaners have been providing professional residential cleaning services to busy families throughout Virginia for more than 15 years. If you are in need of assistance cleaning your home’s chimney or implementing other tips to eliminate fireplace smells, call us today at (888) 627-1497 or contact us online to request a free estimate.