Cleaning a flat screen TV seems like a simple task at first, however one wrong move can cause a big scratch or cause permanent damage to your investment. To keep your television clean and free of smudges and fingerprints, be sure to keep the following tips in mind.
- Dust lightly: Using a microfiber cloth or wand duster, start at the top left of the screen and work your way side to side until you reach the bottom. Always use a clean duster or cloth to make sure you aren’t scattering the dust around the rest of your home.
- Unplug it: If your TV requires more than a light dusting, turn it off and unplug it. This will prevent the possibility of an electrical shock or short circuit.
- Use a non-abrasive cleaner: Once you have unplugged your TV, spray a non-abrasive, non-alcohol or ammonia based cleaner onto a microfiber cloth and wipe the screen from left to right. Do not press down on the screen in any way, as this can ruin your television’s pixels and cause a distorted picture.
- Mix vinegar and water: If any spots or smudges still remain, create a solution of one tablespoon white vinegar and one tablespoon water and dip your cloth in the solution. Wring out the cloth until it is barely damp and rub the smudged area with as little pressure as possible.
- Wipe the remotes: Your TV’s remotes can often become far dirtier than the TV itself. Use a few drops of rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad and give your remote a quick wipe. Leave them out to air dry.
- Wait half an hour: If you have used any sort of cleaning chemicals or solution on your TV, be sure to wait at least 30 minutes before plugging it back in. This will allow sufficient time for any remaining moisture to evaporate and prevent a short circuit.